The Learning Beyond the Classroom: A Day in Pittsburgh - Multi-Week Lesson Plan Kit is an educational tool including 21 lesson plans and other resources for teachers in the classroom.
You will receive a link to download a zip file containing:
- "A Day in Pittsburgh" 30-minute video (.m4v format)
- 21+ Lesson Plans
- Education Games
- Interactive Whiteboard Companions
- Other Resources
"A Day in Pittsburgh" is a 30-minute video featuring Bob, a young man with DD, leading a tour through Pittsburgh including the Heinz Museum, Carnegie Science Center, the Gateway Clipper, Primanti Brothers, and more! Experience the friendliness of Pittsburgh's residents, as well as the city's accessibility for people with disabilities.
The lessons plans based upon "A Day in Pittsburgh" have been specially designed by Molly Weisel, an Intervention Specialist, to explore Pittsburgh through the eyes of young adults with cognitive and/or physical disabilities. Students will take an active role in learning and not just sit back and watch a video!
Your multi-week lesson plan kit includes multiple lessons in the following:
- English Language Arts
- Social Studies
All subjects contain the following components:
- Practice Handouts
- Interactive Whiteboard Slides
In addition, there are extension activities included to bolster independent living and employ-ability skills! Ideas for differentiation to best cater to each individual student have been included in each lesson.
To best utilize the technological aspects in these lessons, helpful hints have been added for the teacher as short video tutorials and written directions.
These lessons align with the Ohio Learning Standards Extended and may closely align with standards for high school students with cognitive and developmental disabilities from other states. These lessons are a fun, creative way to supplement instruction, prepare for the Alternate Assessment, and work towards mastery of various skills!
The Learning Beyond the Classroom: A Day in Pittsburgh - Multi-Week Lesson Plan Kit Table of Contents:
- Reading Lesson Plans
- Video Comprehension Questions & Answer Key
- Speaking & Listening Lesson Plans
- Teacher Anecdotal Records Form
- Vocabulary "Pittsburghese" Lesson Plans
- Vocabulary "Pittsburghese" Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- Vocabulary "Pittsburghese" Exercises in 2 Versions
- Writing Lesson Plans
- Informative/Explanatory Writing Rubric
- Opinion/Persuasive Writing Rubric
- Presentation Rubric
- English Interactive Whiteboard Companion (Encompasses ALL English Lessons Above)
- Helpful Hints Video Tutorial for English Interactive Whiteboard Companion
- Graphing Lesson Plans
- Graphing Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- 3 Graphing Practice Handouts plus a Challenge Handout
- Slope Lesson Plans
- Slope Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- 3 Slope Practice Handouts
- Statistics Lesson Plans
- Statistics Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- 3 Statistics Practice Handouts in 2 Versions
- Mathematics Interactive Whiteboard Companion (Encompasses ALL Mathematics Lessons Above)
- Helpful Hints Video Tutorial for Mathematics Interactive Whiteboard Companion
- Electricity Lesson Plans
- Electricity Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- Physics Lesson Plans
- Energy Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- Energy Charades Game Cards
- Friction Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- Friction Racing Experiment Handout
- Steel Manufacturing & Minerals Lesson Plans
- Steel Manufacturing & Minerals Pre- & Post- Assessment plus Answer Key
- Steel Manufacturing & Minerals Notes & Answer Keys
- Science Interactive Whiteboard Companion (Encompasses ALL Science Lessons Above)
- Helpful Hints Video Tutorial for Science Interactive Whiteboard Companion
- Contemporary World Issues Lesson Plans
- Pittsburgh News Handout
- Pittsburgh Products Handouts (2 Versions) & Answer Key
- Financial Literacy Lesson Plans
- Financial Literacy Handouts
- Shopping Spree Game Instructions, Gameboard & Game Cards
- Geography Lesson Plans
- Map Handouts & Answer Keys
- Pittsburgh Yesterday vs. Today Handout & Answer Key
- Social Studies Interactive Whiteboard Companion (Encompasses ALL Social Studies Lessons Above)
- Helpful Hints Video Tutorial for Social Studies Interactive Whiteboard Companion
- 3 Art Activities
- Ketchup Sloppy Joe Recipe (2 Versions)
- 3 Employability Skills Activities & Handouts
- Extensions Interactive Whiteboard Companion (Encompasses ALL Extension Activities Above)
- Helpful Hints Video Tutorial for Extensions Interactive Whiteboard Companion
- Additional Resources
- School to Home Connection Parent/Guardian Letter
- Helpful Hints for Interactive Whiteboard Companions (ALL SUBJECTS)
Video modeling is a unique teaching method that focuses on a targeted behavior or skill that may need to be reinforced. It takes place by watching an informative and visually stimulating video of a person modeling the desired behavior.
"A Day in Pittsburgh" is a video modeling gem! Appropriate sightseeing social skills are modeled from beginning to end in this real-life tour of one of America’s great cities. Viewers can enjoy a stress-free and anxiety-free traveling experience all while watching how to listen to a museum curator respectfully, act friendly towards strangers of all backgrounds and cultures, and dine with manners.
Hosts Bob, an individual with DD, and Melarie provide information about Pittsburgh in a lighthearted and entertaining manner. Moreover, they model a number of social skills from making eye contact to using hand gestures to asking questions. Hence, "A Day in Pittsburgh" would be a great tool and asset for any teacher preparing her students for a field trip or parent preparing her child for a family vacation!
Purchasing this product gives you license for use by one teacher. Discounts are automatically provided if purchasing more than one license at a time.
Click here to view the full license agreement.
License Agreement F.A.Q.s
What if my district or school buys a license?
- One license corresponds to one teacher. Although the identity of the teacher does not need to be disclosed, one teacher may use the licensed materials.
Can multiple teachers use the license if not watching the video at the same time?
- If more than one teacher will be using the course materials the district or school must purchase a license for each teacher.
Can I put the video on a server to allow my students to watch the video from home?
- No one may put the video on a network server for sharing with or streaming by other individuals, including students, not licensed to use the product (the video can only be shown in a physical classroom).
Can I make copies of the video?
- The video content is not to be reproduced, except as necessary to use the video in delivering the class. For instance, it is permissible to copy the video to a USB drive to show on a TV monitor, but it is not acceptable to the provide the USB drive to other teachers for their use.
Is there a limit to how many copies of the handouts I can make?
- Unlimited handouts may be made, provided the handouts are used for delivering the licensed class.
Am I required to follow the lesson plans?
- We recognize that different classes may have different educational needs. For this reason, the course may be modified by the licensed teacher as the teacher sees fit.
Can I alter the handouts to fit my lesson?
- Yes, but alterations must be limited to that which is necessary to address the educational needs of a given class, and copyright notices on the handouts and videos may not be removed.